This program is a component associated with the (Res)MA History Programme. It isn’t available for BA students.
This Research Seminar is targeted on the archives associated with the VOC or Dutch East Asia business. It partly functions as a practical, more counterpart that is specific of Literature Seminar. It relates to a few of the basic archival problems discussed here, but details them when you look at the context of a seventeenth- and 18th-century Dutch-Asian enterprise that is commercial. As the VOC records formally comprised company management, in training in addition they functioned as a huge repository of valuable and key info on a number of occasions in early-modern Asia.
The different staying VOC archives are comprised of several various sorts if not «genres» of documents, including maps. Further, they partly overlap with materials that fall away from confines among these collections, but are closely linked to them, such as for instance private documents, missionary records, travel records, as well as pieces of art. These diverse materials had been produced with various purposes, consist and organised in numerous methods, and current information with different perspecitives.
This seminar considers and compares all of these sources from both an archival and a point that is historiographical of. In addition it searches for similarities and differences when considering, regarding the one hand, the VOC archives and, having said that, archives of contemporaneous Dutch organizations and of other European trading that is overseas. Pupils who cannot browse (old) Dutch may use such other European documents, as an example those regarding the English East Asia business.
The pupil has obtained:
- 1 The power to separately determine and choose literary works, making use of conventional and contemporary strategies;
- 2 The power to separately recognize and choose sources, utilizing old-fashioned and contemporary strategies;
- 3 The capability to analyse and assess a corpus of sources having a view to handling a specific historic problem;
- 4 the capacity to analyse and evaluate literary works having a view to handling a specific problem that is historical
- 5 the capacity to individually formulate a definite and well-argued research concern, taking into consideration the concept and approach to the industry and also to reduce this concern to available and workable sub-questions;
- 6 the capacity to separately put up and execute a initial research study that make a share to existing scholarly debates;
- 7 the capacity to offer a well-founded and clear dental and written report on research outcomes in proper English, whenever needed, or Dutch, fulfilling the requirements of this control;
- 8 the capability to be involved in present debates into the specialisation;
- 9 the capacity to provide feedback that is constructive and formulate criticism of this work of other people in addition to power to measure the worth of these critique and feedback on one’s very very very own work and integrate it;
- 10 (ResMA just): The capacity to take part in a conversation associated with theoretical fundamentals associated with the control.
Learning goals, related to the specialisation
- 11 Thorough knowledge and comprehension of 1 regarding the specialisations or subspecialisations along with of this historiography associated with the specialisation, concentrating especially in the after; within the specialisation Archival Studies: archiving in a context that is colonial understanding of the value of archiving procedures for the manner in which a culture handles its documents heritage generally speaking and its particular historic practice in specific; disclosure, including electronic disclosure, of archives included in the wider history sector.
- 12 Thorough knowledge and comprehension for the theoretical, conceptual and methodological areas of the specialisation or subspecialisation under consideration, with a specific give attention to the annotated following: when you look at the specialisation Archival Studies: theoretical fundamentals of archivistics; evaluation and choice of archives.
Learning goals, with respect to this extensive Research Seminar
- 13 Thorough comprehension of the organization associated with the VOC archives and exactly how it even compares to the organization of closely relevant materials (personal documents, missionary records, etc.), to archives of contemporaneous Dutch organizations and also to documents of other European international trading businesses.
- 14 Thorough comprehension of exactly how these different principles that are organisational linked to the goals and audiences of these materials plus the kind and tone of data they have.
- 15 the capacity to analyse and compare archives created in a early-modern context that is dutch-non-Western.
- 16 (ResMA only): the capacity to put up and execute research that is original raises brand 123helpme brand new questions, pioneers brand brand new apporaches and/or points to brand new guidelines for future research.